♦ A message from Jeff Finley‘s dad … After a couple months nursing an elbow injury, Jeff will be playing in his inaugural CFL game for the Alouettes tomorrow night [Friday] at 7:30 on TSN! If you get a chance to tune in, his number is 49.
♦ Lots more news from the Guelph Mercury I haven’t shared the links for yet:
– Fashion in Football looks at the Gryphons many uniform options in 2014 but fails to mention that Adidas has replaced Russell Athletic as the team’s supplier. Guelph will wear none of the uniforms they had last year. Also, you can see all the uniform combos here.
– In Gryphons set for season opener with younger aerial attack, the Merc’s Rob Massey talks with QB Jazz Lindsey about his new receiving corps and #2 QB freshman James Roberts.
– Switch to Gryphon defence brings playing time for Carney tells the story of Mikey Carney‘s transition from quarterback to defensive back. Look for #6 Carney to be one of the starting corners in the opener at McMaster.
So far away from home and not playing in his first year with the Gryphs as he spent that season on the practice roster, it wouldn’t have been surprising if Carney would’ve been yearning for home, but that just wasn’t the case.
“There’s so much to do here and so many good people to be around, you really feel at home when you’re in Guelph,” he said. “That homesickness never really occurred with me.”
– In a story that revolves around 3rd-year offensive lineman Cam Wilhelm – Gryphons keep cool at practice, Rob Massey also includes some feedback from Stu Lang on the Montreal exhibition game.
“Obviously, we would’ve liked to have won, but we took 70 players and we wanted to play them all,” Lang said. “We wanted to give everyone a chance so that when we choose the team, they don’t feel like they got short-shifted. You sort of suffer. When we were down at the goal-line, we didn’t push it over. It was our third team, but hey, you’ve got to give them a chance.”
– And a story that looks at local freshmen Nick Parisotto and Job Reinhart – Guelph pair stick with Gryphons after their first training camp.
* * *