- Players officially report tomorrow [Sunday]. Practices start the next day [Monday]. You can find the training camp schedule on gryphons.ca. In actual fact, a large number of players stayed in Guelph all summer and many others returned in late July and early August.
- The CIS website has a player preview focusing on sophomore RB Johnny Augustine.
- The preseason team previews have started coming out. CanadaFootballChat has a lengthy look at the Gryphons here. They quote DC MacNeill extensively.
- Earlier this week John Rush was inducted into the Niagara Spears Hall of Fame. If I’m not mistaken he is the fourth Gryphon the Spears have honoured. He joined Jedd Gardner, James Savoie and Jordan Duncan.
- In other OVFL news QB recruit James Roberts and OL Eric Starczala were named to the OVFL All Star Team. Not to be outdone the Gryphons other QB recruit, Job Reinhart, along with Receiver Qunicy Reid, were named to the OFC All Star Team.
- AllezlesBleus.ca, a Montreal Carabins fan blog, shared the news that HC Stu Lang had contacted the Carabins head coach Danny Macoacia and asked him to consider playing the game “fully live”. Pre-season CIS games are typically played with some restrictions – for example, quick whistles, no hitting the QB and limits on special teams. Macoacia thought about it and agreed. Thus, the game will be officiated exactly as if it were a regular CIS game. That is good news for the fans.
- The Atlanta Falcons are already in the midst of training camp but Guelph grad Thomas Dimitroff Jr. took the time to take the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge. Check out the Atlanta Falcons’ video below.
John Elway quickly responded to Dimitroff’s challenge – http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/local-news/john-elway-takes-on-ice-bucket-challenge-to-raise-money-and-awareness-for-als