Links related to Saturday’s game

The Prince of Picks with an INT in 2012 Yates Semi

The Prince of Picks with an INT in 2012 Yates Semi

In my post – Already looking ahead – back on Sunday night I said … Over the next five days look for a game preview post by mid-week, a Q & A with a leading expert on Queen’s football and several other posts on the upcoming game with more than the usual number of media links. Game preview √. Q & A √. And now a post “with more than the usual number of media links”.

Starting it off, sports media guy Mike Hogan is calling this “the biggest game of the year” in his In the Huddle column. Among other things he writes:

If Guelph and Western both win, history will be achieved twice. From an OUA perspective it would be the first time that two teams finished 8-0 in the same season. It would also mark the first time Guelph would end up with an 8-0 record. Gryphs head coach Stu Lang understands what’s at stake, but he hasn’t mentioned it this week.

“We talked a lot about it last week” Lang told OUA.ca “We thought Carleton might be a bit of a trap game for us, so we said to get to 8-0 you have to get to 7-0 first.”

Lang appreciates what the win would mean from a historical perspective.

“We talk a lot about history,” said the coach. “We’re trying to build a successful program for the long run, not just based on one year.”

*     *     *

There are game previews of various sorts

OUA.ca’s game preview: GUELPH AND QUEEN’S BATTLE FOR SECOND SEED IN REMATCH OF YATES CUP SEMIFINAL

A Guelph Mercury story: A lot on the line as Gryphs take on Queen’s

Claude Scilley has quotes from both coaches and Queen’s 5th-year RB Ryan Granberg in his blog post – Gaels, Gryphons prepare for crucial football match. From Queen’s HC Pat Sheahan a prediction: Calling it a game with interesting matches, Sheahan said both offences have the ability to score but have had “their ups and downs.” For that reason, and the fact that both teams have recently been beset by injuries, he predicted it would be a game of mistakes. I’m assuming he means a game decided by mistakes. If so, that makes complete sense. From Guelph HC Stu Lang: “On the surface 7-0 seems pretty good,” he said. “On the surface you can be happy and the fans can be excited but, strangely, we’ve not yet played a complete game of the three disciplines — offence, defence and special teams. At best we’ve played well at two, but never three.” I have to agree – Guelph hasn’t played a complete game yet, and that will probably be what it takes.

From the Kingston Whig-Standard: Playoff bye on the line

*     *     *

Also, some video links:

Donnovan Bennett interviews Queen’s QB Billy McPhee –  Gaels look for redemption vs Gryphons

The midweek press conference of Queen’s Pat Sheahan. The first 20% is on their game at Waterloo, the remaining 80% looks at this week’s game.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s