It is time to catch up on several stories I intended to write about but haven’t gotten around to up until now. First up, the 2nd Annual Friends of Gryphon Football Coaches Gala.
* * *
Last month the 2nd annual Friends of Gryphon Football Coaches Gala was another great success. The 2012 version brought in revenue of $49,000. It was great to see many Gryphon football alumni among the almost 200 people in attendance. They included co-guest speaker Thomas Dimitroff Jr., Coach Mooney and many of his former players, plus players from the 80s, 90s and 2000s.
Personally, I enjoy having the opportunity to meet and speak with some of the program’s “oldtimers”. Guys who have first-hand knowledge of the history of the Guelph and OAC/OVC programs. I had the opportunity to speak with Bill Stevens for the first time. Stevens, a 1958 OAC grad, was one of several members of Coach Mooney’s teams in the late 50s & early 60s to attend. I also had a chance to talk with more recent alums like Dudley Brown, Jeff Yanchus, Nick FitzGibbon, Ian McQueen and John Casasanta.
Other highlights of the evening:
- a great exchange between Thomas Dimitroff and Jay Glazer which included fielding questions from the audience
- Coach Stuart Lang’s update on the status of the program
- a presentation to Mike O’Shea, the first Gryphon player to have his number “honoured” in Alumni Stadium
- a preview of the design of the new turf field and track in Alumni Stadium
- special guests including UofG President Alistair Summerlee, VP Brenda Whiteside, Ticat GM Bob O’Billovich and his wife, Denver Bronco Dir of Player Personnel Matt Russell
- an incredibly high quality selection of items in the silent auction including signed NFL, CFL, NHL & MLB jerseys, helmets and bats
This very professional video is perhaps the best way to see the highlights of the evening:
The above photos were all taken by Kyle Rodriguez/artifactsforlife.com. The complete collection of over 500 Gala photos can be viewed here.