Disappointing. Its a word I’ve used to describe several games this season and it works again here. In fact, it pretty much sums up the season. Don’t take that admission as a sign that I’m anything but positive about the future of this program. There were lots of positives in this game but the bottom-line is we lost – we’re 2-6 and out of the playoffs.
- We lost the turnover battle 4-1. Our interceptions were at the Laurier 5 yd line and in their endzone. We fumbled the ball on our own 15. That set up their only TD of the game.
- We took 16 penalties for 140 yards. Plays called back included a 2oyd TD in the 4th Q and a 40yd scramble by Jazz Lindsey. The TD was called back as an “illegal forward pass” which looked from where I sat to be quite legal. Essentially we were penalized for throwing two forward passes when the first was in fact a lateral. I had a better angle to see it than the linesman who called it.
- The rushing game left much to be desired – 85 net yards, only 3 ypc average. Plus the two fumbles on running plays, which it should be noted were both by receivers.
- Our defence was outstanding. Forced Laurier to turn the ball over on downs in the red zone. Held the #3 ranked passing offence in the country to just 183 yards. Held top CFL WR prospect Shamawd Chambers to just 5 catches for 26 yards. Limited WLU to 124 rushing yards even though moving the ball on the ground was an emphasis according to their HC Gary Jeffries.
- Freshman Jazz Lindsey outpassed Laurier’s heralded 5th yr QB Shane Kelly- 343 yards to 183. Lindsey routinely slipped away from Laurier pass rushers and was never sacked.
- Net offence: Laurier 307 yards; Guelph 428 yards
- First downs: Laurier 19; Guelph 25
- Jedd Gardner had 8 receptions for 123 yards and a TD in his final game as a Gryphon. He set the all time record for Most Receptions in a Career to go along with his Career Receiving Yardage record.
- Sebastian Howard had a outstanding game providing great coverage and breaking up several pass attempts in his final game. He was a 5 year starter at corner back.
* * *
The Guelph Mercury game story is here.
As usual detailed game stats are on the CIS website.
Some video highlights of the game from Laurier Athletics via youtube: